Currently experiencing issues retrieving some sources.


Backfill is now complete. Thanks for your patience.


We've fixed the core issue, and are beginning to ingest for historical data backfill.


We have identified the issue causing data issues, and are working to identify the root cause. There is no known ETA to full recovery at this time. Further updates will be available on the status page, with notification upon recovered state.


We've confirmed there is a problem, we're working to resolve it.


We are currently experiencing a delay in receiving and indexing data from our data partner. We are collaborating with them on identifying a cause and hope to have a resolution soon.

Began at:

Affected components
  • Data Source Components
    • Opoint
    • WebSightLine
    • Twingly
    • Vital4
    • Dark Owl
    • Webz
    • Data365
    • SMAT
    • BrightData
    • SocialGist